How not to manage an introvert
Just read a dead on article from organizational psychologist Dr. Marla Gottschalk on managing (frankly, understanding) introverts in the workplace, what they have to contribute, and how to get their best work. In a culture that seems to celebrate and promote extroversion, this is a (quick) important read for anyone who perceives introverts as outliers, anti-social, anti-teamwork, etc.
Her tips on re-thinking management (leadership, frankly) of introverts are:
- Think and communicate with introverts before putting them on the spot or recognizing them publicly.
- Introverts do not fundamentally dislike teams or teamwork.
- Open offices are antithetical to efficiency and focus for introverts, even those who enjoy teamwork and communication (I'm extrapolating a bit on this point from my own experience working in open offices).
- Do not assume that they have nothing to say.
- It's a fallacy that introverts cannot lead.
Read the full article at LinkedIn.