Quick read: Secrets to leading great meetings
- Knowing when to meet also means knowing when to email.
- Capture meeting goals on an ongoing basis, in a shared doc, BEFORE the meeting.
- Timebox discussion on each topic.
- Each agenda item should be "a race to clarity." Identify the problem and solve it, or determine next steps and who owns it.
- Follow through on every action item, and keep progress documentation in the same place as the running agenda.
I appreciate Justin's acknowledgment that meetings can be productive. The sad fact is that we've all had The Meeting used as an instrument of torture so often that we've developed a collective allergy.